National Financial Switch (NFS) ATM network having 37 members and connecting about 50,000 ATMs was taken over by NPCI from Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT) on December 14, 2009. Over the span of few years, NFS ATM network has grown many folds and is now the leading multilateral ATM network in the country. As on 31st Oct 23, there were 1,286 members that includes 114 Direct, 1,127 Sub members, 41 RRBs and 4 WLAOs using NFS network connected to 2.67 Lac ATM (including cash deposit machines/recyclers)
NFS has established a strong and sustainable operational model with in-house capabilities and today can be compared at par with other major and well-established switch networks. The operational functions and services are at par with most of the global ATM networks.
- NFS has introduced sub-membership model which enables smaller, regional banks including RRBs and local co-operative banks to participate in the ATM network.
- NFS has maintained high standards of application and network uptime of above 99.50% which has helped our member banks to ensure enhanced customer experience.
- The Bharat Clearing and Settlement System (BCS), has benefitted members with high operational efficiency and ease of online transaction life cycle management (chargeback, re-presentment, etc.) in the network apart from being compliant with local regulatory requirements.
- NPCI has also tied up with International card schemes like Discover Financial Service (DFS), Japan Credit Bureau (JCB) and China UnionPay International (CUPI) which allows their cardholders to use ATMs connected to NFS network.
- The Fraud Risk Management (FRM) solution is offered as a value added service to monitor transactions (in real time) and to generate alert or decline the transaction in the NFS network.
Value Added Services:
UPI-ATM Cash Withdrawal - UPI-ATM cash withdrawal is an Interoperable Cardless Cash Withdrawal (ICCW) service that facilitates (participating) bank’s customers who are live on UPI, to withdraw cash from the participating banks’ ATMs (enabled for UPI-ATM) without using their card. UPI shall be used for customer authorisation for such transaction and settlement shall be done in NFS ATM network.
#Click below for more details
UPI-ATM Standard Screen flow for ATM
UPI-ATM Brand Guidelines
UPI-ATM User Journey
Interoperable Cash Deposit (ICD) - This service shall facilitate bank’s customer to deposit money up to a specified limit into their account. Third Party deposits are also allowed by some banks wherein an individual can deposit money into another account (of the same bank) by entering the account number of the beneficiary.
#Click here for more details
Other services offered in NFS:
- Mobile Banking Registration (MBR) - Allows cardholder to register for mobile banking with their bank, if the mobile number is already updated.
Earlier (The service enables cardholders of participating member bank to register for Mobile Banking using any other participating member bank’s ATM.)
- Card-to-Card Fund Transfer (C2C) - Allows cardholder to transfer funds from their account to any other bank account through NFS network ATMs.
Earlier (The service enables cardholders of participating member bank to use NFS network ATMs of participating member bank for initiating funds transfer to the any other participating member bank’s cardholder’s account.)
- Cheque Book Request (CBR) - Allows cardholder to place a request for a Cheque Book through NFS network ATMs.
Earlier (This service enables cardholder of participating member bank to request for Cheque Book using any other participating member Bank’s ATM.)
- Statement Request (SR) - Allows cardholder to place a request for Statement of Account through NFS network ATMs.
Earlier (This service enables cardholder of participating member bank to request for account statement using any other participating member Bank’s ATM.)
- Aadhar Number Seeding (ANS) - Allows cardholder to seed their Aadhaar number in their bank account.
Earlier (This service enables cardholder of participating member bank to request for seeding of Aadhaar number in the account linked to the card using any other participating member Bank’s ATM.)
Note: These services are available for customers of participating member’s banks on participating members ATMS.