National Financial Switch (NFS) ATM network having 37 members and connecting about 50,000 ATMs was
taken over by NPCI from Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT) on
December 14, 2009. Over the span of few years, NFS ATM network has grown many folds and is now the
leading multilateral ATM network in the country. As on 31st December’ 21, there were 1,202 members that includes 110 Direct, 1,045 Sub members, 43 RRBs and 4 WLAOs using NFS network connected to more than 2.54 Lac ATM (including cash deposit machines/recyclers)
NFS has established a strong and sustainable operational model with in-house capabilities and today
can be compared at par with other major and well-established switch networks. The operational
functions and services are at par with most of the global ATM networks.
- NFS has introduced sub-membership model which enables smaller, regional banks including RRBs and
local co-operative banks to participate in the ATM network.
- NFS has maintained high standards of application and network uptime of above 99.50% which has
helped our member banks ensure enhanced customer experience.
- The Dispute Management System (DMS), has benefitted members with high operational efficiency and
ease of online transaction life cycle management (chargeback, representment, etc.) in the
network apart from being compliant with local regulatory requirements.
- NPCI has also tied up with International card schemes like Discover Financial Service (DFS),
Japan Credit Bureau (JCB) and China UnionPay International (CUPI) which allows their cardholders
to use ATMs connected to NFS network.
- The Fraud Risk Management (FRM) solution is offered as a value added service to monitor
transactions (in real time) and to generate alert or decline the transaction in the NFS network
Value Added Services:
Apart from basic transactions like Cash Withdrawal, Balance Enquiry, PIN Change and Mini Statement,
NFS also offers other Value Added Services (VAS) on ATMs/CDMs like:
- Interoperable Cash Deposit (ICD)
- Mobile Banking Registration (MBR)
- Card-to-Card Fund Transfer (C2C)
- Cheque Book Request (CBR)
- Statement Request (SR)
- Aadhar Number Seeding (ANS)
Interoperable Cash Deposit (ICD):
CLICK HERE to know NFS Members Banks live for
Mobile Banking Registration (MBR)
- The service enables cardholders of participating member bank to register for Mobile Banking
using any other participating member bank’s ATM.
Card-to-Card Fund Transfer (C2C)
- The service enables cardholders of participating member bank to use NFS network ATMs of
participating member bank for initiating funds transfer to the any other participating member
bank’s cardholder’s account.
Cheque Book Request (CBR)
- This service enables cardholder of participating member bank to request for Cheque Book using
any other participating member Bank’s ATM.
Statement Request (SR)
- This service enables cardholder of participating member bank to request for account statement
using any other participating member Bank’s ATM.
Aadhaar Number Seeding (ANS)
- This service enables cardholder of participating member bank to request for seeding of Aadhaar
number in the account linked to the card using any other participating member Bank’s ATM.